Friday, September 4, 2009

A good part of plan A

“We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us.” – 2 Corinthians 5:20

This single verse of scripture makes it pretty clear that I am called to be a representative of Jesus Christ. All of us are the vessels that God makes His appeal through.

I have heard it said many times that God's plan for reaching the world is through the Church, His people. And there is no plan B. Now that is a great line upon which to build a sermon, but if we are plan A, how are we doing - or better - HOW AM I DOING?

I don't ask this to load up a bunch of guilt or to display a sense of defeat, but to honestly bring a realistic assessment of myself and challenge me to go to the next level.

With that in mind, I know three things that Jesus always did and - if I am going to be a good ambassador - I need to grow in doing:
  1. Jesus had a radical acceptance for all kinds of people.
  2. Jesus showed what God was really like.
  3. Jesus gave up Himself in order to serve others.

This means I can never write people off, that I need to show people God's character through my own warts and that the best way to draw people to God is through serving others. It also frees me from being "the change agent." I am called to be the ambassador, the representative, and not the changer. I DON'T CHANGE ANYONE! GOD DOES!

That means being a good part of God's plan A means reflecting or representing Jesus more and more and better and better.

How does this make sense to you?

4 comments:

  1. Jesus is an excellent role model. Those wishing to relate the "good news" to the unsaved, should emulate Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad we are discussing this topic. in the same vein, but a little different catagory, are the people who were at one time a part of the church, even in leadership, who no longer choose to follow in this direction. Because we were friends,i suppose, they call now and then and seem to be explaining why they are in situations that would not be pleasing to God. I always want them to feel good about themselves, and yet find myself remembering something in the book of James, "If any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back"....James5:19-20. So is this just speaking to the clergy, or does the everyday christian have that responsibility?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all of those typing mistakes, oh well! Just had to add a note. I do understand that God is the one who changes the person.I really appreciated the part of the article that said we are never to write people off. If they are still discussing their lives, they still care, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think hsm asks an important question. I do not believe there is ANY passage of scripture that applies ONLY to clergy. The NT knew nothing of clergy/laity roles, especially as we think of them today. James does admonish us to do our work to turn people back, but I wonder if the means we use sometimes has more to do with clever persuasion or guilt/shame and not enough to do with showing them who Jesus really is and what He wants for them.

    ReplyDelete