Friday, February 12, 2010

Is confession a big deal?

For the past several weeks we have been talking about sin, where it comes from and what it looks like in our lives. I wonder if we could spend some time now talking about what it really takes to be free from sin, how we can move out from being so weighed down by sin.

Sin is very heavy. When he was carrying sin, David said his "bones wasted away," his "strength was sapped" and God's "hand was heavy" upon him (Psalm 32:1-4). No one really wants to live this way. In fact, I believe that the longer one persists in some sinful pattern the only way they can survive is to become calloused to it. But even then there is a heaviness because one cannot survive like that forever. So how do you become free?

The first step is confession and this step cannot be avoided or sidestepped.

Greg Ogden writes:
When we measure our lives against God's moral perfection, we begin to see how contaminated our hearts are. In Greek, confess means "to agree with." In confessing to God we are agreeing with God about what he sees. By making confession a regular part of our conversation with the Lord we are giving him permission to show us our lives through his eyes.
Two important biblical references are:

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. – 1 John 1:9


Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. – James 5:16

It all begins with confession, making clear to God and others what the truth is about ourselves and seeing ourselves through his eyes. That confession leads to repentance, forgiveness and real transformation and victory. But it all starts with confession.

So here is a question for us to think about: Is confession just something between me and God or should there be a time for confession between me and another person? How do I know when its right to confess to another person and when its just something that can stay between me and God? What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. For me, I find that if I confess to God and seek His forgiveness and still don't feel peace then I need to confess to another person. Although, I think maybe I am a little too open and honest with people; give more info then I need to. In my life, right now, I still need that physical reassurance and encouragement that I am not the only completely imperfect person in this world. I believe that the person you confess to either needs to be the person you sinned against or if that is not the case, you need to find someone you can trust and will lead you back to God and His word. I am fortunate to have such people in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight Tammy. I don't think there is an absolutely clear line where we need to always confess to a person or simply to God. I feel like the best line for me is when I have sinned against someone I need to seek them out and when sin is repetitive you need to find a trusted person to help hold you accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great thoughts and ideas. Do have a question before we leave this subject. Is ther a point beyond which one can go, on the side of the sins that are being forgiven, and continue to serve in a leadership position? I am not talking about something done in the past,which so many times is not even true, just a misunderstanding, because of an association with someone. I mean, when someone seems to want to be on both sides as a christian, depending on the situation, who they are with at the moment, or what is going on. Would probably say..no big deal..but clearly not what Jesus would do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep looking looking for the "delete" site! In looking at the post that I wrote, sounds as if I have someone in mind. Soo would not want to leave that impression. Suppose the question came to mind because of some discussions about things that do happen, or have happened in the past, not necessarily in any particular church.Do think it is worth thinking about. HSM

    ReplyDelete