Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Are you governed increasingly by God’s Word?

Psalm 1 says this:

1 Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the LORD,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers.

It makes sense that one would be blessed by God if they do not walk where the wicked walk, stand in the way sinners stand or sit where those with those who mock God sit. Being in those places will be destructive to any life in pursuit of God. That makes sense.

But how do we know what steps to take to move forward? By delighting and meditating on the "law of the LORD." When that Psalm was written centuries ago the "law of the LORD" meant the first five books of the Old Testament and the prophets. The people of Israel knew that as "the law and the testimony." That was to govern their lives.

As Christians we accept the Old Testament and the New Testament because that contains the words of Jesus, the stories of his saving life, the birth of the church and the life of the Holy Spirit poured out on God's people. We believe and testify that God breathed and inspired every aspect of the message of the Bible.

It is the truth of God, God's truth for us together and God's truth for us personally.
That means we can trust it and rely upon it. It also means we cannot ignore it. We must obey it. It is not some generic source of truth. It is true for all of us whether we accept it or not. It explains and defines reality. And its promises and commands are ours personally, not just for some "other people." We can count on it.

When we "meditate" or think on the truths of scripture and apply it to our lives it forms our character and our practices. There is nothing in our lives that the truths of God's Word won't touch and we will be like a well planted, growing and fruit-bearing tree. That is the life we are seeking.

What have you done to make sure your life is governed more and more by God's Word? What advice can you give to help us overcome some of the obstacles along the way?



2 comments:

  1. I continue to read my bible daily and really work on things in me that I know I need more guidance with to being a better human and christian.
    I was talking the other day to a friend about a mutual friend of ours and how their actions and conduct was causing us stress. That our love and support did not seem to be enough for them as is and that they continued to expect us to do more for them, then they are willing to do for themselves. I then let my friend know, that I needed to distance myself from them a bit as I felt it was bringing out in me unchristian like characteristics by being so involved in this persons day to day. That I want to love and support them but unconditionally. I don't want to feel that what I do is never good enough and that is what I was feeling. Then brought to mind Isaiah 41:10..."Fear not, I am with thee; be not dismayed; for I am thy God. I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee, yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." I know God was speaking about Israel in a whole how they turned away from him. But its a reminder to me that even if I do something that is not inline to "walking of the footprints" that to not Fear that God is with me to help me grow in his righteousness he is always there to help me and guide me. So my advise is to always look to the scriptures...heed their advise, no matter what is thrown at us in our lives, Gods word is truth and it will continue to HELP and guide us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalm 1 has to be one of the must be one of, if not the most, beautiful of all. Committed to memory years ago and has helped me so much in some stressful situations. The last sentence in the post says it so well. Will have to say, do have a problem with being patient, and trusting God's time table when " some things are thrown at me", as stated, above.Can say , however, that He has been faithful to work things out at the right time.HSM

    ReplyDelete