Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Is holiness a noun or a verb?

So . . . I am strarting a series on holiness this week so I have been thinking about the subject.  Help me process things. 

The word holy or holiness is a word that is used often in the Bible. You can see it again and again in both the Old and New Testaments.

Jesus commanded His followers to "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Again, the writer of Hebrews addresses holiness saying, "Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14)

Holiness is special, sacred, pure, righteous, etc. These passages seem to indicate holiness as a state one comes to or resides in. It is seen as something we either do or do not possess - A NOUN.

But Micah describes a holy life quite differently:

"To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." (Micah 6:8)

Later Paul writes, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.  Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."  (Romans 12:1-2)

Holiness here - as well as plenty of other places in the Bible - is more like A VERB. Acting justly, loving mercy and walking humbly are all actions. They are things we do in our lives.

So, what is holiness and what is it made up of?  I think the obvious answer is both NOUN and VERB.  God is making me holy in Jesus, but I am also called to be holy as I follow Him.  If its not both then I think we are really missing something.    

So, how about you?

When you think of holiness do you think of it more as a NOUN or as a VERB?

How has it been taught to you in the past? 

Honestly, where does it show up on your radar screen?

1 comment:

  1. I've struggled for a while to understand this word Holiness! What does it mean for me? As i hold the word in my heart seeking its meaning from the Lord, i realize it's not anything i can do by my own will or understanding, no more than i could save myself. To live Holy i must rely totally on the same power that saved me! Yes there are things i can do or be mindful of, but the more i come to really know this Christ who bought my life with His own, the more i desire to please Him with my entire being. My life is no longer my own - i am indeed HIS, and if this is really true in my heart, and not just in my understanding, then every area of my life will begin to reflect the Holiness that pleases Him, as He continues to transform me more and more into the image and likeness of His dear Son, with whom i am to be a joint heir in the household of God according to Romans 8:17 and Ephesians 2:19
    Be Blessed

    ReplyDelete