Friday, June 5, 2009

Boundary or Center

What is a good working definition of what it means to be a follower of Jesus?

This seems to be a matter of great debate and sometimes even great confusion in the world we live in today. Even using the phrase follower of Jesus is a new thing. When I was growing up we said that we were Christians period. We didn't elaborate and, at least it seemed, we didn't need to. But today, in my limited experience as a pastor, describing what it means to be a follower of Jesus (a Christian) seems to require lots of dialogue and definition. In fact, when I have conversations with people who are far from God and/or far from the church I ALWAYS seem to have to separate myself from one bad stereotype or another or from one bad personal experience or another.

We spend so much time having to defend or describe our boundaries (what makes one in or out of the faith) that we don't have any time or space to talk about our roots or the center (what a follower of Jesus actually looks like) of our faith. Defending and defining the boundaries can be exhausting, but looking at the center - about what it really means to be a follower of Jesus in my everyday life - brings life to me.

I ran across an interesting definition from Todd Hunter, author of Christianity Beyond Belief. His working definition is this:

A Christian is a cooperative friend of Jesus, seeking to live consistent lives of creative goodness, for the sake of others, through the power of the Holy Spirit. (pg. 28 & 154-155)

While I don't like everything in this definition, I like how it comes from the center instead of the boundaries. It speaks more about what it means to be a follower of Jesus in my everyday life. I see Great Commandment love (loving God and neighbor) in there. I see Great Commission mission (making more followers of Jesus) in there. I see Kingdom ministry (making a better world for others) in there. I see healthy relationships in community there. I see Jesus and His life in that definition.

And at the point I am at in my spiritual journey, I need life. I crave it! I want the Holy Spirit and the words and example of Jesus to really guide everything I do. I am keenly aware of my failures and shortcomings - sometimes more aware of them the closer I get to Jesus. That is why its so important for me to be immersed in things that bring life.

Jesus said, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (John 10:10)

How does this resonate with you? Is it more important to emphasize the boundaries or the center when explaining/defending Christianity or are they equally important? Why do you think that?

I would love to hear your comments... Let's talk.

1 comment:

  1. I think that it is more important to focus on the center of Christianity (Christ's all important gift to us), rather than all the distraction that takes away from that message. None of us are perfect and are all striving to overcome our shortcomings. As long as our center is Christ and we keep our eyes in that direction, we should be able to refocus conversations toward Christ.

    ReplyDelete