Friday, July 31, 2009

Holiness & People: As far or as close as we can be . . .

Alan Mann, in is book A Permanent Becoming, asks the following important question:

"When God says, 'Be holy as I am holy,' does that mean 'set apart, other, distant, untouchable, pure, unapproachable'? Or does that mean, 'Be life as God is life' - whole, full, loving, relational, mutual, creative, connected, and so on?"

He then goes on to make this conclusion in regard to living a holy life:

"We become more like Jesus, not by escaping the earth, but by burying ourselves deeper into the soil of life." (pg. 27)

The summary character qualities of a holy life were listed by Paul in Galatians 5:22-23. He called them the fruit of the Spirit, which is another way of saying the qualities that the Spirit produces. Paul writes:

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."

It strikes me that I cannot cultivate this fruit all by myself and in isolation from others. I need the help, encouragement, example and teaching of others to see how these fruit practically play out in my life and I need to be in relationship with other people to practice them. In fact, I would say its impossible to have the fruit of God's Spirit formed in you if you are not in relationship to others.

So, can I even consider living a holy life if I separate myself from the world and the people around me - even those people who actively, intentionally pursue an unholy life? That answer seems to be a clear NO to me. But I have a bigger question then: How can I be motivated by the love of Christ, be growing in the fruit of God's Spirit and active in the world around me, while still not being overcome by the temptation to sin and go against God's way? In other words, how best can I be a representative of Jesus (being life as God is life) in the world in which I live?

3 comments:

  1. You described the fruit of the Spirit as "the qualities the Spirit produces," and "the summary character qualities of a holy life." Is it possible that someone could produce "the fruit of the Spirit" without actually living by the Spirit though? What I mean is, I know several good people that probably exhibit all those qualities but aren't the least bit interested in Jesus. Is this possible?
    In light of this I would say that our holiness is determined less by our qualities than it is by our purpose in using them. All that being said, it is impossible to separate "holiness unto the Lord" from "love thy neighbor."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, suppose that I am a christian of the best sort, pleasing to God and everything. And suppose that I see a need and respond to it, or just feel like doing something special for a friend.I don't have in mind that this is a "Jesus" thing.My non-christian friend does the same thing with the same love for the person who is receiving the gift.Our purpose is the same, to make someone happy.So holiness is about what God does in us,and our relationship with Him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can be "good" and not be "holy" but you can't be "holy" without being "good." The difference: The Spirit of God within you, actively cleansing you of your sins and filling you up with His Righteousness.

    ReplyDelete