Thursday, July 2, 2009

Is holiness more a noun or a verb?

The word holy or holiness is a word that is used often in the Bible. You can see it again and again in both the Old and New Testaments.

Jesus commanded His followers to "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:48)

Again, the writer of Hebrews addresses holiness saying, "Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14)

Holiness is special, sacred, pure, righteous, etc. These passages seem to indicate holiness as a state one comes to or resides in. It is seen as something we either do or do not possess - A NOUN.

For the past several days I have been reflecting on this in preparation for a message from the prophet Micah.

Micah seems to describe a holy life like this:

"To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." (Micah 6:8)

Holiness here - as well as plenty of other places in the Bible - is more like A VERB. Acting justly, loving mercy and walking humbly are all actions. They are things we do in our lives.

So, without going too much farther I want to ask you if you see holiness as more of a noun (a status achieved or a location arrived at) or a verb (action performed or a way of being). How have you heard it described to you in the past? How has it played out in your life? Honestly, is it something you ever give much consideration and, if so, how have you reflected on it? Which did Jesus demonstrate more in His life and teachings?

4 comments:

  1. Jesus demonstrated both in His life and teachings because His essence/being was perfect holiness. I think of holiness in the same terms as I think of sanctification--positional and progressive. I have to have it (the noun) before I can act (the verb) or my actions are just actions. Yet the more I act it, the more I have it. When Wesley uses the term Entire Sanctification, I think he is referring to both. If holiness is only a noun and we have to have it; then when we sin, we are in a bad situation. If it is both, then when we sin, we can experience God's forgiveness and grace and begin to move toward the state of holiness again. I am glad it is both and not just a noun or a verb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being new to the holiness movement, I do not know much about it but I do think that it is both a noun and verb, kind of like google.

    Holiness to me is something that I work for, I have never obtained it but I strive for it.

    I think 1Peter 1v14-16 explains it best when it says....
    As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who has called you is holy, you also should be holy in all your conduct,since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy." (esv)

    This passage gives us two examples of Holiness a state to reach and a call to action in the ways in which we live our lives.

    So to me holiness is very much like Google, a noun by being something and a verb that takes the noun and uses it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Would yοu minԁ if I share your blog with my zynga group?
    There's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thanks

    Here is my blog :: evelyn basketball wives bracelets

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent blog уou have heгe.. It's hard to find excellent writing like yours these days. I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!!

    My blog - livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete