Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ongoing Grace

One of the things I believe we miss the longer we are a part of the church is the need we ALL have to continue being nourished by the grace of Jesus. We think of being "saved by grace" and we should because the grace of God we receive is the basis and the means for our salvation. However, that is not the end role for grace in our life. We need to also remember that we are ALL called to:

  1. Continue in grace - Paul and Barnabas . . . "urged them to continue in the grace of God." - Acts 13:43
  2. Grow in grace - "But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." - 2 Peter 3:18
  3. Extend grace to others - "Each one of us should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." - 1 Peter 4:10

If grace is not the continual nourishment for our lives and our souls then we have forgotten or missed the Gospel. But if the power of the Gospel message of God's saving grace extended through Jesus Christ is alive in us, then we realize all of life is grace-based.

If we embrace this truth our lives can echo the words of John Newton, "I am not what I ought to be. I am not what I want to be. But still, I am not what I used to be. And by the grace of God, I am what I am."

I want to always have my life and my soul filled up with God's grace. I want to see new evidences of it in my life all the time. I want it to be evident in the manner in which I speak to my wife, in the tone I take with my kids, in the attitude I have at work, in the selfless posture God wants to display through me, etc. I want to see the grace of God so full in my life that I see it extending to others and, when I fail, that I will quickly appeal to God for a refreshing supply of His forgiving grace and, just as quickly, to the one I have hurt to receive their grace as well.

Where is grace showing up in your life?

1 comment:

  1. On going *Grace. Where is it showing up in your life? God's grace is of a divine nature, without any strings attached. Grace given by us mortals may be defined as love, kindness, mercy, favor, and to benefit or serve another, and particularly - the less fortunate. Get in the program, the more active one is, the better. There isn't any shortage of *NEED*, generally, and there shouldn't be any shortage of those willing to fulfill it.. It is amazing how beneficial grace, when given, is for those receiving it, as well as those giving it - what a winning combination? One should share the results - from God's grace. Just think, if God's grace hadn't of come to YOUR rescue, where you would be to-day. Thank God on a daily basis, with appreciation - for Devine favors.*Nourishment for life, yours, and mine.

    ReplyDelete