Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Christian Response to bin Laden's Death

You have to be living under a rock not to know that U.S. Special Forces raided a compound where Osama bin Laden was hiding out in Pakistan, killing him. Upon hearing the announcement, major celebrations erupted in various locations, especially in New York and Washington. I briefly watched some of the comments made by people in the crowd and their comments and reactions, as well as many other news reports, etc. They have caused me to reflect as a Christian about this issue.

As a Christian, do I believe that there are times when war is justified and useful for an ultimate good? Yes. In self defense or in order to take up the cause of a defenseless innocent person or persons there are times when violence is the only remaining option. Though it should be avoided at all costs, there are times when it simply cannot be avoided and in those times it is justified.

However, I must take very seriously the words of Jesus, not just when they are convenient to my patriotic or self-interested leanings, but especially when they are a challenge to them. In those times my true commitment to Jesus and His teachings are measured. Am I faithful to Him at all times or only when He seems to agree with me?

At any rate, here are Jesus' words:

“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell. Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift. Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny" - Matthew 5:21-26

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:43-44

I'm not sure I would call Bin Laden's death a murder. It was part of an ongoing war. However, as Christians we need to be careful about celebrating the death of anyone - even someone as evil as he was. I would be much more comfortable if we did what we felt we had to do to protect ourselves and other innocent persons from present and future harm and then stopped there without any fanfare or bragging.

In other words, as a Christian I don't think I should ever celebrate the death of another person even if his/her death was justified and necessary to hinder greater evil. There should always be a part of me that wishes there could be another way and hopes that next time there will be.


What do you think?





4 comments:

  1. That's exactly the conversation I was having with my students on Monday. One student whom I knew to be a Christian asked me if I was happy about what happened, and basically what you said above was my response. That, and how she and I both know that we can all be redeemed and forgiven. I find it very difficult to be happy that someone was killed. I am glad he won't hurt anyone anymore, but not glad that he was killed and (probably) went to hell. He was God's creation like we are God's creation. He was loved by our God and therefore should be loved by us. I understand why people feel as they feel, but to me, the whole thing breaks my heart, as I'm sure it breaks His...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been on my mind also. In my high school history class (long, long ago) my teacher made a comment that has stuck with me for years. To summarize he said that war has its own rules and its own morality. In my teenage mind that sounded like just another way of justifying wrong actions, and the thought still lingers today. While my emotions tell me that Bin Laden was a lowlife who deserved to be exterminated, there is a little voice in the background that says that I am too. As far-fetched as it seems, he had the opportunity (as every human does) to make himself right with God but we can only assume he never took that opportunity. In my heart I believe that a soldier will one day have to answer for that gunshot on the other side of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. , ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways!

    Ezekiel 33:11

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles,

    Proverbs 24:17

    ReplyDelete