Friday, May 27, 2011

Standing on Shoulders

I ran across a prayer recently that was used by Christians originally over 1900 years ago! These early Christians, some suffering under persecution and trial, prayed this prayer fervently. They expected God to act and because of their work and God's power we are here today generations upon generations later. We stand on their shoulders as a result of their faithful life and ministry. Some day younger generations of Christians will stand on our shoulders because of our faithfulness. Here is their prayer:

"We give you thanks Holy Father, for your holy name which you have caused to dwell in our hearts, and for the knowledge and faith and immortality which you have made known to us through Jesus your servant; to you be the glory forever.

You, almighty Master, created all things for your name's sake, and gave food and drink to men to enjoy, that they might give you thanks; but to us you have graciously given spiritual food and drink, and eternal life through your servant Jesus. Above all we give thanks because you are mighty; to you be the glory forever.

Remember your church, Lord, to deliver it from all evil and to make it perfect in your love; and gather it, the one that has been sanctified, from the four winds into your kingdom, which you have prepared for it; for yours is the glory forever.

May grace come, and may this world pass away. Hosanna to the God of David. If anyone is holy, let him come; if anyone is not, let him repent. Maranatha! Amen." (from the Didache, 2nd Century)

More and more, I am keenly aware of the shoulders I stand on. That challenges me to think of those who will stand on my shoulders some day as I remain faithful to our Lord.

Whose shoulders do you stand on? Who is or will stand on your shoulders?

2 comments:

  1. My father, who reared me in a Christian home and every pastor whose preaching & teaching I have sat. I have come to embrace salvation, sanctification, & daily being renewed by a fresh infilling of the Holy Spirit. All these have blaze a clear path in the kingdom of God for me by their life examples, encouragement, & challenges to grow in grace.

    Boyce D. Erwin, Houston TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the third paragraph. This is what my heart heard:

    Remember me O Lord and deliver me from the one who assails me and make me perfect in your Love. Gather me with those you have sanctified from around the world to bring into your Kingdom which you have prepared for us. Let you Glory be known by our unity and love for one another. Let your Grace come. Amen.

    Wanda M.

    ReplyDelete