Friday, October 2, 2009

Can sin be JUST SIN?

"Eikons" are the term given to humans in Genesis when it says we are made in God's image. It means then that we are made good and that we are made to reflect Him. But sin gets in the way.

Scot McKnight, in his book A Community Called Atonement writes:

God is the One against whom humans act when they sin. Sin begins in rebellion against God and, like kudzu on the southern slopes and buckthorn in northern prairies, it spreads into other relations. Sin is the hyperrelational distortion and corruption of the Eikon's relationship with God and therefore with self, with others, and with the world. (pg. 23)

This means that sin is not, and can never be, JUST SIN. It can never just be an act that we do, a word that we say, or a thought that we entertain. It has far reaching ramifications for us and for every relationship we have.

The problem is that we act as if we can isolate sin in one area of our life and continue on in other areas as if everything is OK. We delude ourselves into thinking that this is possible, but it isn't. Sin, if ignored or indulged, will consume every part of our life and destroy us from the inside-out.

I know growing up I was taught that sin was simply a bad act. All those bad acts were equal in God's eyes and needed to be avoided. Some sins hurt others, but some just hurt me, yet all the sins, in and of themselves, were separate. They weren't seen as tied together and they weren't systematically destructive.

I don't think that anymore. I believe first of all in a SIN POWER that manifests itself in actions, words and thoughts against God's will and way (missing the mark). The ultimate SIN POWER is defeated by Jesus in His death and resurrection. Romans 7-8 makes clear that a new power, the SPIRIT POWER, gains control of my life and makes me right with God. As I submit to the SPIRIT POWER I become more and more aware of God's loving acceptance of me, of His transforming grace and of the power I need to overcome the remaining influence of the SIN POWER in my life. This is a lifelong journey I am on.

How do you see it?

1 comment:

  1. Question. Can sin be JUST SIN? No.

    Sin, is sin, regardless of one's viewpoint on the issue. If sin wasn't *sin*, it wouldn't be sin. Estrangement from God is sin. Sin can be committed against a fellow man, and still be sin - against God, since God does not condone sin - anywhere, in any way. If anyone is looking for justifiable sin, it is a lost cause.

    ReplyDelete