Friday, October 23, 2009

What I can become

Famous Notre Dame Football coach Ara Parseghian once said, "A good coach will make his players see what they can become rather than what they are."

I am not a coach; I am a pastor. However, I need to be reminded to see myself not as I am right now, but what I can become in Christ. In his letter to the church at Colosse, Paul wrote, “As God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved . . .” (Colossians 3:12). Before he spelled out the virtues and qualities of a holy life, Paul reminded the people who they were.

He wasn’t telling them what they should be if they worked real hard or if they got lucky. He was telling them who they ALREADY were in Christ. They were God’s chosen, holy and loved people because of what Jesus had ALREADY done in them and for them. From beginning to end it was God’s work and not their own.

What a perspective! I have to remind myself all the time that God is working in me to make me like Jesus. Yes, I have a role to play in submitting my heart and my will to God, but the power to make the changes comes from God. It’s not my doing. I also have to remind myself that God didn’t make that promise to a select few people who were a cut above spiritually from where I am. No, that promise was made to all people and all people includes me.

It includes me on my best days, when my heart burns with love for Jesus and for people and when I naturally do what is good and right and loving. And it includes me on my worst days, when I do the exact opposite, when selfishness and pride rise to the top. How do I know this? Because God chose me, made me holy by the grace and mercy of Jesus and loves me as I am and not as I should be. The Bible screams that message over and over again. He knew what I would be like on my best days and my worst days and He chose me anyway.

When I am freshly aware of that truth something happens inside of me. I am inspired. I am encouraged. I am challenged. And, most of all, I know how loved and cherished by God I really am. That awareness, coupled with my desire to love God back, helps me see who I can become. Then by the power of the Holy Spirit working inside of me I can begin to actually reflect Jesus' character and countenance more and more. I can do the things that Jesus did and say the things that Jesus said.

That can be your reality to . . . You are a part of “God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved.”

When you hear that phrase spoken about YOU, what response do you have?

1 comment:

  1. WHAT I CAN BECOME? Success is dependent on determination. The catalyst for success is - determination, preparation, and application. We should have two common goals, i.e. - to act/be Godly at all times, and to glorify God daily. There is none better.

    ReplyDelete