Friday, October 1, 2010

Encouragement for broken people

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows,
is God in his holy dwelling.
God sets the lonely in families,
he leads forth the prisoners with singing . . .
Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior,
who daily bears our burdens. - Psalm 68:5-6, 19

So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. - Isaiah 41:10
We all need to be encouraged, especially when we are in a place of brokeness. I know our culture doesn't value brokeness, but God does!

When we come to God in our brokeness, He ministers to us. Broken people are open people, people open to God's will and way, people dependent on His grace, love and mercy. Broken people are the kind of people God works in and with.

When have you come to God in brokeness, seeking Him and not something from Him?

When have you humbled yourself before God and surrendered to Him, setting your agenda aside for His? How did God respond?

When have you needed God's encouragement to strengthen you and lift you up? In your brokeness, how did God work to make you whole?

2 comments:

  1. Be kind to everyone, you never know when you are entertaining an angel, a smile is contagious. For those beyond self-help, lend a hand, in what ever way - would be beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After having read this Blog,just thought that it really was not anything that I could actually relate to,couldn't think how it related, anyway. But then as I thought about it, began remembering the past two years,health problems, couple of trips to the emergency room, reread the last question,"When have you needed God's encouragement to strengthen you and lift you up?" Remembered the times I felt near death...from self pity, because I felt so awful! Each time , through a book, discussing children in another country, sick, with no one to care for them, or, through a call from a friend checking on me.Such a strength to have God remind me of how much He cares for me. Also reminds me to pray for those who are so less fortunate.HSM

    ReplyDelete