Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Do you yearn for Heaven and to be with Jesus?

Every time I try to think about eternity and Heaven I am overwhelmed by the vastness of it all. I have said many times it seems to me like a vast ocean that can never be fully explored or understood, but can be experienced in part. I know a bunch of the theological explanations about eternity and I accept them, but that still doesn't mean I understand the concept. Eternity is forever, totally void of our understanding of time and space. History, current events, future planning - none of that really makes sense when you really try to focus on eternity. Here is what I believe in a nutshell:

  1. Eternal life is real - and I'm living a taste of it now!
  2. Depending on the life we choose, we will take one of two eternal paths - what the Bible calls Heaven and Hell.
  3. The offer has been made to every person to embrace the man Jesus as Son of God, Savior of sins, Lord of life. Doing that grants one entry into the eternal kind of life I am living now.
  4. Somehow, in ways I don't fully understand, aspects of that eternal life - peace, joy, deliverance from sin, transformation into Christlikeness, hope, etc. - are already taking shape in me. Indeed, as the days and weeks go by I can see it taking shape more and more.
  5. The eternal kind of life I hope for in Heaven is so much different and greater that it simply blows my mind to try and define it.
  6. Sadly, the hellish alternative is just as impossible to fully grasp in all its terrible consequences . . . and I am thankful Jesus has kept me from that experience. And I pray that my life will be used by Him to keep others from that experience as well.
  7. In the present, based on my eternal trajectory, I am either bringing Hell to earth or Heaven to earth. Not that my life will be Heaven on earth, but my life in Christ should bring tastes of Heaven to me and to those around me. For those who are not in Christ, the opposite is the case.

I long for more and more signs of Heaven in my life, for more signs of the holiness that Jesus is bringing and seeks to bring to me. And I also long for more and more people to experience Heaven with me some day.

How about you? How do you understand God’s eternal reality to be shaping your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment